Having extended my role in management over the last few years, I wanted to start jotting down some of my learnings in this series. As you move into a management role, there are a few characterstics to keep in mind, and how to eventually scale yourself out.
Management is more of an art, that needs patience and experience to build your skills. There are a lot of resources out there, and I would suggest the following books for anyone who wants to get started:
- Leading Change
- The Manager’s Path
What makes a good manager?
At a high level there are three essential characterstics which form the baseline for any tech manager.
- He/She is generally able to retain talent in their team (i.e. does not have high attrition)
- He is largely able to adhere to his product/delivery timelines
- And last but most importantly, he is actively interested, and does a good job of grooming individuals within his team.
What to expect from a manager?
- One on One’s
- Feedback and Workplace Guidance
- Training and Career Growth